Saturday, January 21, 2012

Incorrigible grand-doggy

We're standing in line at the grocery and I assume we appear to want to hold a conversation with the madam in front of us.  I use the term madam not as a reference for a high paid hooker but for a very elitist, well groomed, probably wealthy, well-spoken  60-ish woman.  My husband makes the statement that he always chooses the wrong line.  The cashier was either very new or very stupid, I'm not sure which.  Either way, she was very slow.  Madam high-society proceeded to defend her saying she needed practice and we should be patient...after all she was herself 20 minutes late for an appointment.  She suggested we use the self checkout for which my husband replied how much he hated those things becasue they always seem to cause you to wait longer for a cashier to come reset something.  Madam proceeded to inform us that she has never had a problem with them and so I'm wondering why isn't she using it today if she is already 20 minutes late for an appointment?  Is she so beyond everyone else that scheduled events must be placed on hold for her arrival?  Does it matter that she is probably holding up others who have an appointment after hers?  I don't think it matters. 
Anyway....I chose the title "incorrigible grand-doggy" for a reason.  My husband says "I'm just in a hurry to get home to the dogs before they get upset and destroy it for us being late"-  Madam simply replies "you must cage them!!!"  This is probably true for the younger dog....she is moody but overall a good dog.  She pouts when we're late and will steal something she knows she isn't supposed to have and chew on it for "revenge."  My older one had been caged when he was her size and got his jaw caught between the bars of his prison.  We were fortunate he didn't break his jaw or at the very least a couple of teeth.  He was yelping and crying when we found him.  We stopped caging him.  But I digress....she proceeds to tell us about her most incorrigible grand-doggy.  Yes...the doggy of her son or grandchild...not sure which, but it's her grand-doggy.  The little buckaroo just destroys the house if he isn't caged regularly.  I assume he's too stupid to train or the people who own him are too stupid to train him...god forbid they have children....but anyway...the term incorrigible means (if you don't already know) :
1. not corrigible; bad beyond correction or reform: incorrigible behavior; an incorrigible liar.
2. impervious to constraints or punishment; willful; unruly; uncontrollable: an incorrigible child; incorrigible hair.
3. firmly fixed; not easily changed: an incorrigible habit.
4. not easily swayed or influenced: an incorrigible optimist.
She continued talking as if we were in need of her wisdom - we may appear ignorant and because we're are from the south, now living in the north, even sound a little ignorant because of that gentle southern drawl...lol.  Anyway, to whatever she said, my husband reponded in a friendly manner but used the word "hell" in his sentence.  This did not go over well....and started a whole new conversation.  We haven't moved in the line mind you and this all took place in the time span of about 3 minutes or less before we found another line in which to wait.  "There's no need for profanity" she says chastising my dear man....whom, by the way, I am very proud of for not calling her  a cunt or throw out a line from "Scarface" I think saying "you have a look like you haven't been fucked in years."  I probably have that quote off a bit, but you get the jist of it. 
Madam started to say something about how he might find himself in....she stopped and switched and we assume she was going to say something about God's wrath because she moved on to say she raised her children with a bible in one hand and a stick in the other. Poor kids.  She continued on and on...and I quit listening and bit my tongue.  I really wanted to tell her what I thought.  But Jesus doesn't tell me to bicker over shit like this....it's not his thing.   I'm thinking though....people like this with the attitude of "bible in one hand and a stick in the other" is the reason so many people don't go to church anymore.  Sure it's an excuse....but never being good enough can hinder the reason for church.  My friend Janie said "church is for broken people" and I totally agree. Unfortunately too many think church is for breaking people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment